Within the FZ600 beats the heart of an R6,
and its Made for fun on winding roads: the new FZ600 has latest
technology inherited from the R-series.
A product planner at Yamaha Motor Europe remembers the first big
model change in 6 years one year ago: "We decided to let the new
Fazer really jump up in terms of technical solutions and design.
The only way to free the engineers from restrictions was to give
them a free hand to start from scratch. And they did. The new
Fazer is new and gives you a new riding feeling as well, without
sacrificing its basic qualities of the past."
The for the 2004 model range created, new generation of Fazer
600 made that successful concept simply better and more
exciting. When the Fazer FZ600 was launched back in 1998, it
proved extremely popular as a well-balanced mix of sport
elements and all-round function. At that time most street
motorcycles in the middleclass were simply all-round machines
and obviously were lacking excitement on the sporty side.
- New-concept middleweight sportbike: High-performance but with an anything,
anytime, anywhere attitude.
- Upright, comfortable riding position with great weather protection. Light,
effortless handling for urban use, comfortable long-distance cruising, and
serious sport riding too.
- Super-light and compact YZF-R6-based engine is tuned for enhanced midrange
performance as well as strong rev-ability.
- Cams and intake tracts are designed to produce maximum torque at 10,000
rpm, maximum power at 12,000 rpm.
- Group fuel injection combines simplicity with excellent response and
- Powerful 32-bit processor and 4-jet bi-directional injectors negate the
need for the R6's suction-piston vacuum assist system and is 75% lighter.
- Six-speed gearbox with triangulated input and output shafts, heavy-duty
clutch and through-the-frame shifter for years of precise, positive
- Stainless steel underseat exhaust system with heat shield looks cool and
doesn't interfere with passengers or luggage.
- Acoustic analysis of the downdraft intake tract and exhaust produce a bike
that sounds as cool as it looks.
- Large radiator with ring-type fan for excellent cooling capacity.
- Yamaha Air Induction System, along with a metal honeycomb type catalytic
converter, let the FZ6 pass strict EU2 and CARB emissions standards.
- Strong and very light Controlled Fill die cast aluminum frame is made from
only two pieces, which bolt together at the steering head and in the
swingarm pivot area.
- Five-point stressed-member engine mounting design consists of two
crankcase mounts per side and one mount on the left side of the cylinder
head for excellent strength and light weight.
- Placing the engine's crankshaft axis close to the FZ6's roll axis aids
quick handling and light, positive steering.
- 25 degrees of rake, 3.8-inch trail and 56.7-inch wheelbase for quick
handling and excellent tracking.
- Single shock linkageless rear suspension is simple and light with
sport-biased damping tuned for a controlled, progressive feel; extruded
aluminum swingarm is 23.2 inches long for reduced chain-pull effect, further
bolstering the FZ6's outstanding handling.
- Placing the battery under the fuel tank and behind the steering head helps
achieve 51-percent front wheel weight distribution and excellent handling.
- Single-piece upper triple clamp/ handlebar mount, with tubular handlebar
for excellent front-end feel, feedback and light steering; 35-degree
steering lock means excellent maneuverability in traffic.
- Extremely light YZF-R6-type 5-spoke wheels reduce unsprung weight by 18%
for improved suspension action and handling, acceleration and deceleration.
- Thick dual seat offers exceptional solo or two-up comfort and passenger
grab rails also serve as bungee attachment points.
- LCD two-color instrument display with integrated bar-type tachometer on
the left, and numerical speedometer in the center- also two tripmeters, clock,
fuel, intake air temperature and water temperature gauges and usual indicator
- 120/70-ZR17 and 180/55-ZR17 radial tires complement the FZ6's modern look,
and its increased torque and great handling fully exploit the superb grip they
- Large windscreen provides good protection and minimal noise;
anti-reversion panels on each side of the lower fairing reduce turbulence.
- Dual 12V 60/55-watt multireflector headlight gives a sleek, R1-type
profile for superb aerodynamics and visibility.
- Completely unique, CAD-drawn fuel tank meets the needs of style, handlebar
clearance and tactile feel in one beautiful package crafted from high-stretch
- Sporty taillight design reduces both weight and size while providing
- Centerstand for easier maintenance.
- Standard toolkit and U-lock storage under the seat.