52° V-twin, SOHC, 3 valves per
1795 cc / 109.5 cu-in
Bore x Stroke
101 x 112 mm
PGM-FI Fuel injection
Solid-state digital, two spark plugs per cylinder
107 hp / 78 kW @ 5000 rpm
163 Nm / 120.2 ft-lb @ 3000 rpm
Steel, Double cradle frame
45mm inverted fork
Front Wheel Travel
109 mm / 4.3 in
Dual shocks with five-position spring preload
Rear Wheel Travel
100 mm / 3.9 in
2x 296 mm discs 3 piston calipers
Single 316mm disc 2 piston caliper
163mm / 6.4 in
1714 mm / 67.5 in
696 mm / 27.4 in
335 mm / 750 lbs
364.7 kg / 804 lbs
20 Litres / 5.3 US gal
The biggest, baddest cruiser Honda has ever produced, the VTX is powered by
a 1795cc V-twin with 106 horsepower and 120 pounds-feet of torque. With an
exhaust valve bigger than a P-51's and an 18.8 kilogram crankshaft, the VTX
is the King Kong of performance cruisers.
Full-flowing deeply valanced
front and rear steel fenders, chrome-hooded headlight, broad fuel tank with
tank-mounted instruments, pullback handlebar and floorboards with a
heel-and-toe shifter combine to create classic styling that puts the
VTX1800R in a class of its own.
Cast wheels similar to the VTX1800C’s but with ‘phat’ 150/80-17 and
180/70R16 radial tires round off the VTX1800R’s low-profile silhouette.
The VTX1800R. Outrageous horsepower in a mellow package.
Unique VTX1800R Features
· Full-flowing deeply valanced front and rear steel fenders, chrome-hooded
headlight, broad fuel tank with tank-mounted instruments, pullback handlebar
and floorboards with heel-and-toe shifter create a classic retro style that
puts the VTX1800R in a class of its own.
· Staggered dual exhaust.
· 1795cc liquid-cooled 52-degree V-twin produces immense power--106 bhp at
5000 rpm and 120 lb./ft. of torque at 3500 rpm.
· Engine features 101mm cylinder bores and the largest connecting rods and
cylinders Honda has ever made.
· Offset dual-pin crankshaft and two primary-shaft-mounted counterbalancer
weights allow a high-performance engine design while eliminating harsh
engine vibration. The result: muscular power across a broad rpm range for
unequaled acceleration and roll-on performance.
· The 18.8 kilogram forged steel crankshaft uses bolted weights, reducing
crankcase width nearly 50mm and reducing crankshaft weight 4 kilograms
compared to a conventional one-piece design.
· The engine mounting system uses carefully matched hangers and rubber
mounts to eliminate unwanted vibration, while preserving the powerful
character of the VTX engine's V-twin design.
· Each three-valve cylinder head features two large, 36mm intake valves and
a huge, 45mm exhaust valve to produce optimum flow for the incoming air/fuel
· Two iridium-tip spark plugs per cylinder for efficient combustion at all
· Simple-to-service screw-and-locknut valve clearance adjusters.
· 4.5-litre airbox supplies a large volume of cool, clean air to the engine.
· Advanced, high-pressure programmed fuel injection (PGM-FI) features
42mm-diameter throttle bodies delivering air to two specially designed Denso
50-psi high-pressure fuel injectors. Fuel is delivered through 12
laser-drilled nozzle holes in each injector, producing an atomized fuel
mixture that is highly combustible for maximum efficiency and power.
· Electronic control unit (ECU) provides individual digital 3-D fuel
injection and ignition maps for each cylinder, creating ideal fuel mixture
and spark advance settings for superb rideability.
· A unique dry-sump oil system utilizes a closed crankcase design and places
the oil tank inside the gearbox case. The result is a freer-revving engine
for improved power, and a lower engine height, allowing optimum rider
ergonomics and a low, 698mm (27.5-inch) seat height.
· Radiator with cooling fan maintains consistent engine temperature for
optimum performance and long engine life.
· Maintenance-free automatic cam-chain tensioners.
· Reliable electric-starter system.
· Handsome chromed two-into-two exhaust system produces a deep, exhaust
· Primary drive gear uses a cam-type damper to minimize powertrain lash.
· Sturdy eight-plate clutch with clutch-center damper assures smooth gear
· Five-speed transmission with carefully selected gear ratios for relaxed
cruising and exciting roll-on performance.
· Shaft final-drive system provides smooth, low-maintenance operation.
· New driven flange in the final-drive gear case eliminates final-drive
noise and wear and simplifies rear wheel installation.
· Massive tubular steel frame contains the engine's power and gives the VTX
a long, low, muscular stance.
· Large, 45mm inverted front fork provides 130mm of plush yet responsive
· Dual chromed rear shocks have 100mm of wheel travel and feature an
advanced internal valve system for a comfortable ride.
· The VTX's braking system features two three-piston front calipers and a
single two-piston rear caliper. Application of the front brake lever
activates the two outer pistons of the front calipers. Application of the
rear brake pedal activates the two pistons of the rear caliper and the
center pistons of the front calipers only. When only the rear brake pedal is
used, an inline pressure valve delivers proportioned application of the
front caliper center pistons.
· Cast aluminum wheels with radial tires offer a classic look.
· Fat, 150/80 radial front tire on a 17-inch wheel gives the VTX1800R a
· Fuel tank capacity of 20 liters
for extended touring range.
· Relaxed handlebar position and large levers contribute to the classic
· Classic taillight design.
· Seat boasts a low, 698mm (27.5-inch) height for confidence during
· Retro-styled front and rear fenders complement the VTX's classic cruiser
· Tank-mounted chrome housing features a speedometer, odometer/tripmeter,
aviation-style fuel cap, and indicator lights for the turn signals, high
beam, neutral indicator, low fuel level, oil pressure, coolant temperature
and fuel injection.
· Extensive chrome finishing of engine parts includes cylinder head covers,
valve inspection covers, spark plug covers, airbox cover, left crankcase
cover, clutch cover and left-rear engine cover.
· Distinctive chrome-hooded headlight housing features a powerful, 55W/60W
halogen bulb with a computer-designed multi-reflector for superb lighting in
· Large speedometer with easy-to-read numerals.
· New laid-back handlebar design provides a comfortable upright riding
· Comfortably padded large-diameter handgrips with polished aluminum
handlebar switch housings and triple-clamp assembly.
· Reliable 300-watt alternator.
· Durable, maintenance-free 18AH battery.
· Convenient push-to-cancel turn-signal switch.
NOTE: Any correction or more
information on these motorcycles will kindly be appreciated,
Some country's motorcycle specifications can be different to
motorcyclespecs.co.za. Confirm with your motorcycle dealer
before ordering any parts or spares. Any objections to articles
or photos placed on motorcyclespecs.co.za will be removed upon